You can do a lot with wikis. But before you get to the fancy stuff, you have to master the basics — and that goes for your students, as well.
Now that the school year is underway, we put together a quick 15–20 minute activity, designed to get students comfortable with using wikis. All you need is this PDF handout, a wiki of your own, and a few minutes of preparation:
- Create your wiki and prepare accounts for your students.
- Prep media for your students:
- Upload an image to your wiki.
- Upload a file to your wiki.
- Find a video on your favorite video service (e.g., YouTube, TeacherTube). On the home page of your wiki, add a link to that video. Do not embed the video. The link should say, “Training camp video.”
- Download the Training Camp worksheet and prep it for your class:
- In the field for task #1, enter the URL of your wiki.
- In the field for task #6, enter the name of the image file you uploaded.
- In the field for task #7, enter the name of the second file you uploaded.
If you have any questions, or suggestions for similar materials that would make it easier for your students to use wikis, send us an email at email@example.com.